If you can’t open links in Windows Live Mail, it probably depends on program associations being disintegrated. You can change the default program associations again by following the steps below.
1. Click the Start button and type Standard Program in the search.
2. On the list of results, select Default application. This should be at the top of Programs or simply press the enter key after you have written the default program.
3. From the screen that opens, select Set your default applications from under Select programs that Windows uses by default
4. Then select your browser from the list, Internet Explorer and select this program by default and then click OK
5. In this step we need to return to the standard programs, see steps 1 and 2
6. Select the fourth option that is Click Enter program access and computer settings at the bottom and (Click Continue if you get a user account control question)> Select the Custom> option> Click the double arrow to the right of Custom> Choose a default browser, choose your default browser (probably Internet Explorer)> Make sure a check is in the box next to Enable access to this program. Scroll to Select a default e-mail program> Select Use my current e-mail program> Check again that a check is in the box next to Enable access to this program and then scroll to the bottom and click OK
Some users have reported success using FixIt – it’s worth trying. Download it from -> http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9726441